Ref's Power?

[ Facebook comments]

Anything football or non football.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Ref's Power?

Postby Shutty » Fri Oct 19 2012, 18:32

Can anyone advise me as to whether a ref can insist that spectators be told where to stand?

In a recent game around 5/6 spectators were standing behind the opposition goal and appealed for a penalty in a very typical football fan style (there was not any foul or abusive language used) the penalty was dismissed and awarded a free kick just outside. however he insisted the game would not be re started until the spectators had moved from behind the goal and taken up a new position at the side if the pitch!

I can not for the life of me see how he can insist on this unless he is sending the supporters off and away from the pitch completely???

Any help/advice or links to support either the spectators/refs case would be very much appreciated.
Shutty

Re: Ref's Power?

Postby octopus » Sat Oct 20 2012, 09:14

Shutty wrote:Can anyone advise me as to whether a ref can insist that spectators be told where to stand?

In a recent game around 5/6 spectators were standing behind the opposition goal and appealed for a penalty in a very typical football fan style (there was not any foul or abusive language used) the penalty was dismissed and awarded a free kick just outside. however he insisted the game would not be re started until the spectators had moved from behind the goal and taken up a new position at the side if the pitch!

I can not for the life of me see how he can insist on this unless he is sending the supporters off and away from the pitch completely???

Any help/advice or links to support either the spectators/refs case would be very much appreciated.

Shutty
i think i am correct in saying that the Referee only really has the authority to remove players and coaching staff from the field of play, with regard to spectators i think all he can do is report the matter after the game to the appropriate leauge to deal with. He could of reported the club for failing to control their spectators, but if all they were doing was appealing for a penalty then i find that a tough one to report, unless they were using foul, abusive or insulting language.
i'm sure the Referee's on here will put us both right at some point :-)
crofty
if it aint broke dont fix it ;-)
octopus
Site Mod

Pro Club: Tottenham Hotspur FC
Twitter Acct: @croftysfootypic
  • Website

Post a reply

Return to General Discussion