Follow @Nomad4rum
Find us on facebook

Littlehampton Town -ground grading and promotion

[ Facebook comments]

Popular forum for Combination, Isthmian & National League issues.

Moderators: Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye, octopus

Opens in new browser window

Littlehampton Town -ground grading and promotion

Postby townsendaround » Sun Apr 19 2015, 07:27

I wonder if you lovely folk can help me, as I am rather confused (not that this is unusual). Yesterday I went along to watch Littlehampton Town play Broadbridge Heath. Chatting to the supporters, there was an understandable amount of disappointment that ground grading issues would stop them from being promoted if they win the championship, but great pride in the team- deservedly, as they are the best County League side I've seen all season.

Last night, whilst twittering merrily, I made the point that it was sad that the best team in the league wouldn't be able to be promoted for matters off the field. Phil Wickwar at Hassocks agreed with me. Then the twitter spokesperson for the SCFL stated that they were still awaiting official confirmation of this. I which case, I asked, why were Dorking Wanderers celebrating confirmed promotion? No response.

Now I might be missing something here- after all, I was watching League football until the end of last season- but as I recalled from last summer, East Grinstead were only confirmed promoted when it was confirmed that East Preston's ground had failed the grading test? So how are Dorking celebrating (not that I begrudge them, nice people, good team) when that decision is as yet apparently unmade?
townsendaround

Non League Club: Hassocks
Pro Club: Crawley Town
Twitter Acct: @townsendaround

Re: Littlehampton Town -ground grading and promotion

Postby Roy Grantham » Sun Apr 19 2015, 09:09

I think the reason for this is because Littlehampton didn't apply for the Ryman League, therefore Dorking only have to finish second to get promoted. With one game to go, they will not finish lower than second now. With EG last year, it was different because both EG and EP had applied and only one was eligible to be promoted. As EP's ground failed, EG were promoted.

That's my understanding anyway
No Pain, No Glory
Roy Grantham

Postby townsendaround » Sun Apr 19 2015, 10:31

Roy Grantham wrote:I think the reason for this is because Littlehampton didn't apply for the Ryman League, therefore Dorking only have to finish second to get promoted. With one game to go, they will not finish lower than second now. With EG last year, it was different because both EG and EP had applied and only one was eligible to be promoted. As EP's ground failed, EG were promoted.

Thanks! Littlehampton Town have explained to me that they didn't apply, so you're right, but it all seems a bit daft to have to "apply" for promotion just on the off chance you win it- and that contradicts with the reply I got from the SCFL on twitter.
townsendaround

Non League Club: Hassocks
Pro Club: Crawley Town
Twitter Acct: @townsendaround

Postby Geoff » Sun Apr 19 2015, 17:21

The ground grading issues are the cricket pitch and that nothing can be built on that side. Also it isn't LTFC's ground or bar, it is more cricket orientated.
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby Roy Grantham » Sun Apr 19 2015, 20:02

townsendaround wrote:
Roy Grantham wrote:I think the reason for this is because Littlehampton didn't apply for the Ryman League, therefore Dorking only have to finish second to get promoted. With one game to go, they will not finish lower than second now. With EG last year, it was different because both EG and EP had applied and only one was eligible to be promoted. As EP's ground failed, EG were promoted.

Thanks! Littlehampton Town have explained to me that they didn't apply, so you're right, but it all seems a bit daft to have to "apply" for promotion just on the off chance you win it- and that contradicts with the reply I got from the SCFL on twitter.

I believe it was Dorking, YM and Eastbourne Town who applied this season but obviously not knowing who the relegated teams from Rymans, or their location, makes it a bit of a lottery. Say Three Bridges, Horsham Town and Worthing Town were in the bottom 3 then I guess, technically, if Dorking, Eastbourne and YM all finished top 3 of County 1, and they all passed the required grading, then they could all be promoted as all the aformentioned teams are Sussex based and would come back into the County League. That said, it also depends on the other feeder leagues like Combined Counties and the possibilities of Surrey based teams being relegated into that league. So if South Park, Chipstead and Whyteleafe all got relegated, and 3 Combined Counties teams were eligible to get promoted then you could see the top 3 sides in that replace the Surrey based sides.

Loads of factors in the equation so you are right, it does seem like a complex process....because it kinda is!
No Pain, No Glory
Roy Grantham

Postby oakie » Mon Apr 20 2015, 08:38

There is one promotion place from each of Kent / Sussex / Combined Counties leagues at Step 5 & 3 relegation places from Ryman South - with Horsham & Redhill already confirmed as relegated (subject of course to any end of season reprieves at Step 4) & East Grinstead needing to win on the final day to avoid a swift return to Step 5 its highly likely that we will see Horsham return to SCFL, Redhill drop into Combined Counties & East Grinstead if they fill the final relegation place shifitng across to Kent.
oakie

Postby buzz » Mon Apr 20 2015, 09:21

There would never be three promoted from one league, so any relegated would either go into the league local to them or there would be lateral movements to accommodate. There are already two reprieves this season for step 4, due to two clubs up the pyramid going to the wall this season. The reprieved teams are decided on points gained per game, which leaves a reprieve for third from bottom in Ryman South and North as the clubs in those positions are way ahead on points per game compared with other leagues clubs.
So although it would be nice to finish out of the bottom three, we wont be joining the SCFL or Kent league just yet.

As for Horsham and Redhill, dont be surprised to see any reprieve there as well!!
I like talking about nothing.......It's what I know most about
buzz

Postby oakie » Mon Apr 20 2015, 11:19

Sincerely hope EG do stay up in the Ryman, irrespective of how, they are well run & now have great facilities too
oakie

Postby SMR » Mon Apr 20 2015, 21:17

The Ryman League have already made it known that only the bottom two in the south division will go down. And possibly only one once the FA get involved (ie clubs going bust further up, mergers etc).
SMR

Return to Southern Combination, Isthmian & National Leagues