Find us on facebook

At last it's out - now the verdict

[ Facebook comments]

Have a notice? Stick it on the board.

Moderators: octopus, Shiner, Gareth D, gonzo, The Tye

Opens in new browser window

Post a reply

Postby John Rea » Fri Jun 13 2008, 18:37

Simply a MUST for all fans of Sussex soccer! A brilliant publication. Congratulations to you both and I look forward to the follow up! Certainly made my train journey this morning that much better.
John Rea

Postby waspexile » Sat Jun 14 2008, 10:37

A fantastic achievment. I spent years working for a bookshop and I know how much work goes in simply before you can get it on the shelf.

Delighted to see the rear cover picture with the balloons stuck in the trees at Leylands Park. There was a good quote in the local paper during all the hassle about the ground along the lines of "....even the baloons dont want to leave Leylands Park........" but that picture neatly draws a line for me at the end of the season and finishes off the book.

It would be great to think you can get some copies shifted as Christmas presents, there must be 100s and 100s of dads around the county who are involved with county football. How you get an outlet to sell it and publicise it is another matter. Unless you're very lucky I cant see you getting into WHS or Waterstones (esp without a barcode) but Sussex Stationers might take it...........

It is FANTASTIC publicity for Sussex football. I managed to visit far more grounds than usual this season and its a great memory for me.

waspexile

Postby Geoff » Sat Jun 14 2008, 11:46

Dugouts got into Waterstones I bought mine in Camden!
Geoff
Site Admin

Non League Club: East Preston FC
Pro Club: Seagulls
Twitter Acct: @Nomad4rum

Postby spacey » Sat Jun 14 2008, 14:21

Well Done Terry, Well Done David.

Got mine yesterday in the post, ended up having to share it with my 3 year old son who was looking for pictures with floodlights in them, "look there one, and another"

Overall its a very good book. love the concept and content, you can tell when David has taken a picture or when Terry has done so.

Best picture of the lot, the Siddlesham chairman on page 30 although page 112 makes me smile inside.

Always good to see pictures of people you know in a book and even better when you know the authors.

Well done again
Pre-season is about bullshi!tters, backstabbers and finding out who you can trust!
spacey

Postby LittlehampDon » Sat Jun 14 2008, 15:10

Hi folks

Just back from a week's holiday (so David got left with all the distribution, sorry) and loving the feed back. Thanks for all your comments.

During the months of preparation of the book David and I got a bit concerned that we were plugging it too much and getting boring, odd thing is that at the SCFL do many people knew nothing about it.

John Rea - "follow up" - not sure about that.

Bald Bloke Horsham - I only got half a season in up here then you guys moved away, thinking of changing my ID to Bald Bloke Southwater
Terry
www.pictels.com
www.littlehampdon.co.uk
www.ccpub.co.uk for A Season of Sussex Soccer

LittlehampDon

• Website

Postby Nomad » Sat Jun 14 2008, 16:59

Thanks for all the positive feedback ... keep it coming as we could do with the publicity!

It was a long season for Terry and I but it would appear to have been worth the effort. Hopefully as more reviews start to appear and word filters back to the clubs, so sales will pick up.

Interesting point about selling in shops. 'Dugouts' was published by a major publishing house. Adding a barcode / ISBN number to this book would have increased production costs and book sellers would also have taken quite a large commission. With only 600 copies being printed, it didn't seem worth the effort. However, if club shops want to stock it, I am sure we can come to some arrangement for a minimum of say, ten copies.

Perhaps I will add a barcode if there is a re-print!

As for a follow-up ... very unlikely I'm afraid. However, seeing as my next long-term project is likely to be 'The Seaside Clubs of England & Wales' Sussex is inevitably going to feature quite a bit
Nomad

• Website

Postby octopus » Sat Jun 14 2008, 17:52

Dave / Terry,

Fantastic book congrats to you both for your efforts some great pics in it

i'm sure you will sell the 600 copies with no trouble at all

once again well done and well worth all the effort you two put in.
Last edited by octopus on Fri Jun 20 2008, 13:04, edited 1 time in total.
if it aint broke dont fix it ;-)
octopus
Site Mod

Pro Club: Tottenham Hotspur FC
Twitter Acct: @croftysfootypic
  • Website

Postby Quaterboy » Tue Jun 17 2008, 09:38

Recieved my copy last night, fantastic book only one problem on page 100 or 110 cant remember off the top of my head, it shows a photo of ryes duncan mcarthur and sidleys Jimmy watson and in the caption it reads Ryes Duncan Mcarthur cant help the ball from running out of play only for the picture to show that the ball is touching part of the line therefore in fact duncan keeping itin play! Should check the rules of the game Mr. Nomad haha
Quaterboy

Postby MITCHELL » Wed Jun 18 2008, 06:55

My Dad would like me to pass on how much he likes the book and well done for all the hard effort. I took it with me to Dover on Saturday and he read the whole book straight away and keeps going on about it even now :lol:
http://www.horleytownfc.btck.co.uk/
www.horleytownfc.info./

MITCHELL

Non League Club: Horley Town FC
Pro Club: West Ham United
  • Website

Postby Nomad » Wed Jun 18 2008, 21:22

Quaterboy wrote:Recieved my copy last night, fantastic book only one problem on page 100 or 110 cant remember off the top of my head, it shows a photo of ryes duncan mcarthur and sidleys Jimmy watson and in the caption it reads Ryes Duncan Mcarthur cant help the ball from running out of play only for the picture to show that the ball is touching part of the line therefore in fact duncan keeping itin play! Should check the rules of the game Mr. Nomad haha

Ah, but you didn't have the benefit of the full sequence of shots that show the ball clearly over the line and therefore out of play ... but OK, you're right, in this shot it is still in play

PS. Glad your dad liked the book Spence
Nomad

• Website

Previous

Post a reply

Return to Noticeboard